LEGAL AID SERVICES WEST BENGAL, POPULARLY KNOWN AS LASWEB, WELCOMES ALL TO THEIR LATEST VENTURE, A SEPARATE WING DEDICATED TO CARE FOR THE NEGLECTED ELDERLY PEOPLE. WE HAVE INTRODUCED THIS LATEST PROJECT FOR PROVIDING MEDICAL, LEGAL, PSYCHOLOGICAL, AND EVEN DOMESTIC CARE TO SUCH HAPLESS PEOPLE.
The Magnitude of the problem in India...
- Over 73 per cent are illiterate.
- About 90% of the old people have no official social security.
- Life expectancy 31.7 years in 1941 increased to 60.5 years in 2000
- 55% of the women of 60 years and above are widows.
- Family structure is changing to nuclear/small unit families.
- Without the safe secure and diginified status in the family, the elderly are finding themselves vulnerable.
- Welfare of the elderly has been a low priority with the state.
Ageing The Indian Scenario...
- India is one of the few countries in the world where sex ratio of aged is in favour of males.
Population above 60 years -
- 10% suffer from impaired physical mobility.
- 10% Hospitalized at given point of time.
Age more than 70 years-
- More than 50% suffer form 1 or more chronic conditions like CHD, Cancer HT.
WE ARE A GROUP OF SOCIAL ACTIVISTS, WHO FELT THAT SOMETHING OUGHT TO BE DONE FOR ONE LARGELY NEGLECTED SECTION OF SOCIETY......THE ELDERLY.
WE HAVE BEEN INSPIRED BY LASWEB (LEGAL SERVICES WEST BENGAL) A SOCIAL WELFARE ORGANIZATION, COMMITTED TO STAND BESIDE THE NEEDY, IN THE AREA OF LEGAL AID AND COUNSELLING FOR THE LAST 5 DECADES.
WE HAVE STARTED A PROJECT OF LASWEB, TO EXCLUSIVELY STAND BESIDE THE NEGLECTED ELDERS, AND PROVIDE THEM MEDICAL, LEGAL AND COUNSELLING ASSISTANCE, EVEN FOR SUCH DOMESTIC ACTIVITIES LIKE ARRANGING FOR GROCERIES, PAYING BILLS, REPAIRS AT HOME, VISITS TO RELATIVES, VISITS TO BANKS, ETC.
WE SHALL BE HOLDING OUR INAUGURAL FUNCTION ON 20TH MAY, 2017, AT SHRI SHIKSHAYATAN COLLEGE HALL, LORD SINHA ROAD (OPPOSITE EMAMI MALL), FROM 4 P.M. ONWARDS. PLEASE JOIN US IN THIS NOBLE VENTURE.
A few words about the latest project
You may be aware of the activities of this social welfare organization, Legal Aid Services West Bengal (LASWEB), committed to stand by the downtrodden and needy, in the field of legal aid and counselling. We have organized Lok Adalats, legal aid camps, workshops, seminars, for the past five decades, apart from conducting Family Counselling Training Courses. Our 34 year old short time course on Family Counselling has now been converted to a year-long weekend Diploma Course on Counselling approved by the Calcutta University. Our fourth batch of trainees of the Diploma Course, is undergoing training now, at Shikshayatan Foundation, Kolkata.
You will be glad to know that we have decided to launch a new initiative, focusing on the elderly people, who are victims of neglect, deprivation, exploitation, and disrespect, at times, even from their own family members. Their contributions of the past have been forgotten, and they are left to fend for themselves and perish. No one, including ourselves, can consider himself/herself to be immune from the agonies of loneliness, helplessness, disease, desertion in old age.
This alarming situation has prompted LASWEB to create a much needed comprehensive setup to provide legal, medical and psychological, and even domestic assistance to these elderly citizens. We have named this geriatric care project of LASWEB as "I AM NOT ALONE"…Care for the Elderly. The task is gigantic, but a beginning has to be made. We will train care-givers to visit the enlisted families regularly, and provide various sorts of assistance. The primary requisite for all these care givers, is possession of compassion and an urge to help others. We will liaise with police, lawyers, doctors, teachers, social workers, to make a perceptible and positive difference in the lives of the elderly people in our society.
Services envisaged for the elderly :
- Weekly visits to residences of enlisted members by trained care-givers.
- Daily calls for enquiring about welfare and urgent needs.
- Medical/Legal/Psychological assistance.
- Help in domestic activities.
- Visits to residences by Doctors, Lawyers, Counsellors as required.
- Periodical health check up tests at residence.
- Periodical review of amenities and facilities at residence.
- Assistance in jobs relating to post-offices, banks, shopping, visits to friends and relatives, attending social events, visits to religious places, other emergency services like care rental, doctors and clinics, supply of medicines from chemists, ambulance, groceries, etc. This will include escorting senior citizens to various places.
- Providing companionship, reading newspapers, magazines, books, viewing television, listening to music, etc.
- Familiarizing elderly citizens with modern gadgets and devices like Android phones, Internet/Skype on desktop computers, laptops, Applications for managing various services from home, like paying bills, monitoring funds, booking cars, buying articles online, etc.
- Providing security if needed, during their long absences from residence.
We need the whole-hearted support and involvement of all sections of society, to make a difference in the lives of these hapless people. Please join us in this noble cause of standing beside the elderly, who deserve respect and care, not neglect and apathy. Do contact us for help, or for helping.
EVENTS OF I AM NOT ALONE
||MEETING WITH DOCTORS AND EDUCATIONISTS
||SEMINAR FOR STUDENTS OF VARIOUS COLLEGES
||MEETING AT LAW COLLEGE, WITH LAW STUDENTS
||INAUGURATION OF "I AM NOT ALONE"...CARE FOR THE ELDERLY